For those of you are looking for extra credit or an idea for our next read, the recently announced finalists for the 2014 National Book Award might be a good place to start.
Here is a short list of the Fiction and NonFiction writers. For the full list including book synopses click here.
- “All the Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr
- “An Unecessary Woman” by Rabih Alameddine
- “Lila” Marilynne Robinson
- “Redeployment” by Phil Klay
- “Station Eleven” by Emily St. John Mandel
- “Age of Ambition” by Evan Osnos
- “Can’t we Talk About Something More Pleasant?” by Roz Chast
- “The Meaning of Human Existence” by Edward O. Wilson
- “No Good Men Among the Living” by Anand Gopal
- “Tennessee Williamsn” by John Lahr