Per popular request, please see below for two recipes from our June meeting:
Fennel, Apple & Radish Chopped Salad (Katherin Owens)
- 4 cups Fennel, trimmed and sliced into 1” pieces
- ½ large green apple, cored and cut into 4 wedges
- ½ large red apple, cored and cut into 4 wedges
- 8 small radishes, trimmed
- 4 scallions, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced apricots (KSO used golden raisins)
- Dressing: ¼ cup apricot or walnut oil (KSO used olive)
- 3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
1.) Place ½ fruits and vegetables into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
2.) Pulse up to 10 times or until coarsely chopped, place in colander
3.) Repeat with remaining fruits and vegetables. Drain for5 minutes in colander to remove excess liquid, discard liquid.
4.) Pour mixture into a serving bowl and top with dressing;
5.) Place all dressing ingredients in blender in order listed and blend until emulsified
6.) Pour dressing over salad and mix well.
Savory Granola (Caroline Yeilding)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup pistachios
- ½ cup sliced or slivered almonds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 egg white, beaten with a whisk until frothy
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seed (I added a little less)
- Cayenne pepper to taste (I added a few healthy dashes of Aleppo pepper and a pinch of cayenne)
- ¼ t salt
- 1 Tablespoon honey
Preheat Oven to 350. Combine all ingredients, stirring well. Press firmly onto a baking sheet (compressing the granola makes it more “clumpy”) and cook for 15-18 minutes, turning the granola with a spatula after 7 minutes.